TIPS for Buying and Selling Real Estate in Whistler
Over the years, the enchantment of Whistler has spread worldwide, thanks to the 3 million guests per year who visit our mountain resort town. As you experience all that Whistler has to offer, whether on the mountains or in the valley, you too might
decide you want to own a home here.
There are many things to consider when contemplating real estate in this unique community.
Here are some tips to help you with the process and make it a positive experience.
• Find a local real estate agent. Whistler is
unique, and has many bylaws and complex
covenants, so you want someone who knows
the local market inside and out.
• Determine your budget. There are many
different real estate options available.
• If you need a mortgage broker, choose
a local specialist. They are the experts in
financing and know all the regulations.
• What is your primary objective? An
investment to generate revenue; for mixed use
(personal/rental); second home or vacation
property; or are you looking to relocate?
• Location: Ski-in/ski-out; lakeside; close
to a golf course; mountain view; proximity to
the Village? What factors are important to
• You will need a lawyer or notary public
to convey the deal. Choose a local firm —
there are many in Whistler specializing in
Written with the assistance of Doug Treleaven - REALTOR®
Additional things to consider
if you are a non-resident:
• Open a Canadian bank account.
• Seek out a lawyer while you are in Whistler
and have your identification notarized.
• Engage an accountant, particularly if you
intend to rent out your property.
• Look for the real estate agent who will
best represent your property type and
understands your goals.
• Check with your accountant to see whether
GST will be applicable.
• Determine what your end goal is. Are you
looking for a quick sale or is achieving top
dollar more important?
• As with any real estate transaction, who
will your lawyer be?
• Discuss the best time to list with your real
estate agent and consider when you would
like to transfer possession to the new owners.
• Ask your agent’s advice: Is there anything
you should or could do to increase the value
of your property?
REAL ESTATE | WHISTLER